Friday, January 23, 2009

Bridges Poem

My life's path takes me across canyons,
Gullies,
Rivers.
Each path turns, twists, travels
Uphill, downhill, and through the darkness.

I rarely find my path to be smooth; it's
Pebble-strewn,
Obstacle-filled.
Each path divides, divides some more.
My life's journey looks endless and confused.

Then I come to the whitewater.
Swirling,
Raging.
I must decide if I continue on this path
Or seek calmer eddies.

The bridge juts out across the river,
Jagged metal,
Broken concrete.
Is there a safer place to cross?
Do I risk drowning in my anger?

I travel up mountain paths: steep,
Treacherous,
Slippery.
At the top, I see the valley.
My destination? The other side.

The way across swings precariously,
Frayed ropes,
Splintered wood.
Beneath the sharp, jagged points
Stand ready to pierce my fears.

The next bridge causes trembling,
Shaking,
Crying.
At what point will the logs shift,
Sending me down to the endless depths?

The log shifts and the old tree bends,
Rolls sideways,
Creaks and cracks.
I lose my balance and regain it.
I crawl the remainder of the way.

Each bridge brings new challenges to face,
Defeat,
Conquer.
Without courage and a strong will,
The bridges remain untouched, uncrossed.

No comments: