Friday, January 23, 2009

Sadness

Today was not the best of days; understandably so since attending a funeral never makes for a fun morning. The mother of a friend and very special co-worker (technically, she's my assistant, but I see her as my equal) passed away this week.

I'd never been to a funeral officiated by a minister from this particular denomination. Catholic funerals tend to be somber and sometimes upbeat, but quiet. It was a bit of a shock when the minister raised his voice during his eulogy. If it had not been a funeral, I think members of the congregation would have been shouting amen a lot during his sermon on heaven and hell. (Remember Seinfeld? "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" It was just not what I'm used to.)

Instead of writing today, I've been working on making hats. Jester hats to be precise. "Why?" you might be wondering? Well.....my mother-in-law has handed me three large garbage bags of fleece, fake fur, pompoms, etc. to make hats for crafts fairs. She was making them last year and is unable to continue so...I got them! There's some great fabrics in there, but I couldn't picture a lime green santa hat...hence the jester's hats! If I make a few each week, I'll be more than ready for crafts fair season in the fall. (Usually I sell glass beads and stained glass suncatchers. I'll just be branching out and diversifying this year! :-) )

I did start my adult novel yesterday. It did not go as smoothly as I'd hoped. The biggest problem was that my brain moved faster than my pencil (I couldn't be at a computer. I was supposed to be listening to the workshop presenters on a subject that does not pertain to my job.). Big SIGH! Maybe it will be better tonight and tomorrow.

On the good news: my poem has been selected as one of the winners for the "Forever Young" writing contest for the NC Reading Association, and it will be published this spring in a book!

No comments: